Sunday, December 17, 2006

A puppet play

Debra: I am the prettiest girl in town!
I make the poets sing till they weep
And the guitarist sing and play their melodies
till the strings of their little wooden instruments snap!
I'm the prettiest girl in town!
The prettiest girl in town! The prettiest girl
In the whole damned town!
And you cannot turn me down!
I make all men weak...
( Rose petals rain down, the air smells of a pink
Fragrant mist.)

Antonio: I'm sure you do.
Debra: (angrily) why aren't you singing to me?!
Are you blind?!
Antonio: ( indifferently) Love is blind. I have eyes to see,
And a heart of stone. Your soul is an ugly ghost,
But your beauty is indeed profound.
(Blue clouds are gathering, serpent lightning whips
the horizon, a witch's storm is forming, praying
priest have gone into hiding, the sun has turned
a blood red colour, Moses weeps, the mountains
rise from the sea.)

Debra : I am beautiful, I am beautiful,
I am too beautiful for you! And no man
Can resist me! My beauty is too beautiful to believe!
( sadly) Why won't you sing the prettiest song to me?
Antonio : ( lazily) I am the wounded heart and the knife.

(lighting! and he ambles off R stage, blue door) Exeunt...

No comments: